
Cooking.
If you really know me that last word with a combination of the title of this post probably has caused you to smirk a little bit.
My room mates in college would make fun of me after I made something. I would always introduce any meal that I wanted to share with them, with the phrase, "Well it tastes good to me." My room mates realized that just because I thought it tasted good to me, wasn't a promise that it would taste good to anyone else.
I've had accidents in the kitchen where I am baking cookies and I want to run to the neighbors to do this "one quick thing"--- only to be gone for 30 mins and coming home to an apartment that smells like smoke, black hard cookies in the sink, and unhappy roommates. I'll never forget the time a similar episode happened but instead of cookies it was me frying fish on the stove in oil. I specify oil, so you can only guess what catastrophe follows. My dear roommate Emily was minding her own business, studying in the kitchen like any good college student would be doing. She smelt fire. When she turned around to investigate what smell this was she saw the little flame that my negligence had caused on the stove.
Cooking is not my forte. I am happy to say that since I've been married my skills have improved a little bit. Matt is a great example with his excellent cooking.
Well there is a point to this brief summary of my unfortunate cooking experiences.
Visiting Teaching.
Now for those of you unfamiliar with Visiting Teaching it's basically an opportunity to serve in the church. Visiting teaching allows sisters at church to get to know each other, to create a support network, and it's more or less an opportunity to have a best friend at church. I love visiting teaching because I know when done diligently it really produces friendships. However, I'll admit I feel it has it's awkward beginnings. One of my visiting teachers came over tonight for the first time.
In Brazil I loved the hospitality. Every time we went to visit someone they usually gave us some juice or a little piece of cake. I believe that food can bring people together! I wanted to make something for my visiting teacher so I could create a bit of a friendly environment. Who doesn't like to chat over tasty treats?
Because I really didn't have time to make bread I decided to go buy some orange roll mix. I love orange rolls! When I got home I immediately threw them in oven. I set the timer so it wouldn't be too late but the time I set wasn't enough so I set a new time and thought to myself, "Oh I better check back before it beeps." Well... I got involved with something else and I didn't check before he beeped. When I opened the oven the rolls looked a little crispy.
Why am I always prone to burning things?!?!?!
Anyways I had imagined them looking juicy and warm on my coffee table so I could offer them casually to my visiting teachers when they showed up, but I was embarrassed. The whole time she was talking to me I kept thinking of what I was going to do. Finally I decided that I wanted to give one to her because it was a friendly gesture.
I gave her one, but only first saying, "Im sorry it may be a little crispy but I really wanted to give you something." I'm not really sure why I said that. Maybe I wanted her to know that I knew why it didn't taste good. She smiled and said, "That's okay I like them crispy." I smiled really big and wanted to laugh wishing someone was there to witness this moment in my life!
She is suppose to say, "That's okay, I like them crispy." That's the NICE thing to say. I guess that's why Im writing in my Blog so someone else can be humored at this situation. This is just one more cooking experience gone wrong. Bleh.
Matt is off in India at some Salt Conference so I have no one to share the humoring, yet embarrassing moments, in my life at this moment. Yay for blogging!
Well, what you made us was great!
ReplyDelete