Sunday, March 27, 2011

Updates!

Blogging....

I love blogs because I love to see how other people are doing. I assume that maybe I know someone out there who enjoys knowing how we're doing too. :)

I also don't feel that blogging is quite as exciting unless you have pictures! Seeing as my camera is out of battery power and I don't know where the charger is... I don't feel like blogging much, but for anyone who is interested caring how Matt & I are surviving... I am posting, without pictures.

Moving into a house is as fun as anyone can imagine it would be. It's nice to feel like you have your own place, it's also comforting to know you have a place to settle down for a while. Matt & I aren't planning on staying here forever, but we know we'll be here for at least the next 3 years, and that brings some comfort.

Our lives are crazy. As a result, many parts of our house continue to be underdeveloped and unorganized. Other frustrating elements of being a home owner, is realizing there is no landlord to run to when you find a leak. :( We have this strange leaking problem that leaves our kitchen counter wet. We have done some research and have realized that it's coming from the bathroom upstairs, and it's probably coming from a pipe that lies underneath the bathtub. If that sounds scary and intimidating to you.... it is. Anyone interested in ripping our a bathtub to fix a pipe?

Matt has been biking to work almost every day. It's exciting for me because that means I get the car to myself! Before we moved we carpooled together, which wasn't bad, but it means there are limitations to how flexible you can be with your schedule. So I'm quite happy about that arrangement.

I'm still taking classes up at the U and learning A LOT about children's literacy and the importance of reading to children. On this blog I created an additional page listing what children books I really like, in case anyone is interesting in looking for good children's books. I am also looking for good children's books so if you happen to fall upon an author, a series, or just a book, let me know!

I think one of the most profound things I've learned so far about children's literature is the necessity to expose children to different cultures and races through text. We can't ignore the fact that there are people of different races around the world. If children read books only about their race and culture, then they will think that their race and culture is the only one that exists. However, if they read only about other races and other cultures, excluding the one that they are from, they will think that no one is like them.... so the key is to expose children to text about their background as well as everyone else's. Children's literature seems to be one of the easiest ways to expose children to accepting the people in the world around them.

On a side note.... everyone should read Paulo Coelho's book The Alchemist---oh, how it makes you think about your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment