Saturday, June 1, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend

Just like last year...

We headed out to get our feet wet with a few canyons. I literally mean "feet wet".




The purpose of this trip was to familiarize ourselves with pot hole escape. Well, really, when I say "us", I do mean Matt. :)

We went to the San Rafael Swell and camped out not too far away from Muddy Creek. If you dont know what I'm talking about imagine some where between Moab and Zion National Park in the middle of no where. Yes, the middle of now where. We did bring a port-a-potty. 

We headed out with these two friends.

Zack and Iara

 They're pretty cool and I really mean that, but I'll spare the details for another blog post. I'm sure I could post a list and provide good examples of how awesome and adventurous they are. Anyways...
They came out with us last year and this year too. 

Matt & I would take turns doing canyons because of Baby C. We certainly couldn't take him with us! At least not yet!  On the days where Matt did a canyon I went for little hikes. 
 
I found this....





 This is called the Muddy Creek. It goes on for MILES but it doesn't flow very fast nor is it very deep. I walked along this one day for a little while. 
 
 


 I saw this "Motel 6" right alongside the Muddy Creek. It was pretty creepy looking, even in the day.



And  on another adventure I found a MINE!




I was really tempted to go inside but I could see the headlines. "Mother with Baby Gets Trapped into a Mine." Or worse yet there would be no headlines and just a search and rescue party. I wondered how long it would take for them to realize I had gone into this mysterious  mine. I did go in about 20 feet but as I walked in the roof was getting shorter and shorter and I was too lazy to take the baby carrier off to explore more (or terrified to continue to explore deeper into the rock). When I told Matt about it he told me that he had actually read about the mine and the first owner of the mine made millions of dollars and then sold it for millions of dollars. The second owner, however, was not so lucky and made nothing off of the mine.

For our meals we needed fire wood. Matt looks pretty hardcore trying to chop up this tough piece of wood into sticks. He chopped at it for several hits and the thing didn't seem to budge. I began to wonder if it was a legit piece of wood instead of being made of iron or something.




I hope you had a great Memorial Day too! On our way back we stopped and took a moment to place some flowers on Matt's Grandpa's grave. We're certainly grateful for the holiday and for the opportunity we have to honor those that have already gone on before us.



No comments:

Post a Comment