Friday, February 21, 2014

NICU



We've just completed 2 full weeks in NICU, uh, can I get a woot? woot?
Looks like there are still many more days to look forward to as well. 

There are good things about being in NICU. For one, I am not too worried about SIDS because they're hooked up to all types of monitors and such! Nor am I worried about them gaining weight because if they dont eat, they'll be tube fed! I also get a lot of extra hands/help so that I can sleep more. If only I was more of a nap person...

The biggest struggle with these babies, not graduating from NICU, is that they dont eat. Apparently, it's what being pre-term is all about, sleeping and not eating. Another reason why I'm grateful they're being tube fed.

They are on oxygen but, I've been told, you can still go home and be on oxygen if that's all. We just need these babies to eat at every meal. Some days we get really close to that and then the next day it's like they're trying to recapture any calories they burned waking up, by sleeping off the entire day. Naturally that's what newborns do, but these babies dont even open an eye when you change a diaper or check their temperature. They're out cold. I guess that's what is most frustrating about this whole experience. One day things are going really well and you see the light at the end of the tunnel and the next day it's like you realize that light you saw was a freight train!

We've been really fortunate to be at the receiving end of a lot good service. We are receiving meals from the members of our church, because who has time to think about dinner?? My mom is in town watching my little boy while Matt is at work and I am at the hospital. Friends have been calling or texting to get updates and a lot of people have been  offering help and support and that's been wonderful too. I feel like we've been really fortunate and blessed. Being in NICU isn't all that bad. It's a pain because we can't take our babies home and try to live life as "normally" as we can, (what is normal with twins anyways?!) but I figure, in a year this will only be a small portion of what we've had to endure. Unless, of course, this goes on for MONTHS, but I am remaining optimistic about that. :)

One day they'll wake up and be ready to eat at every feeding and, maybe, even demand and cry that they get fed immediately.

Baby B receiving milk from a sponge
Baby A





1 comment:

  1. Seth wouldn't wake up to eat either but since he was a solid 6lbs and had no trouble breathing we didn't end up in NICU. Keep optimistic and good luck. Also, I know its super common for twins to get plageocephally so if they end up needing helmets, let me know and I will tell you all about them. Good luck and I am seriously dying to know what they end up being named!!

    ReplyDelete