 |
| Gardening on the patio! :) |
I'm pretty sure that Matt would like to recreate Thoreau's Walden pond and live off of the meat of the land. I'm not sure I know too many people who are as crazy about gardening as he is. Often times he comes home excited to show me the new plants or seeds he has recently purchased for our house. We've gone through this phase every Spring for the past 2 or 3 years. I'm sure it is something we will always go through.
We started growing some plants in January at a green house close by. We had a couple of pea plants that did well and radishes. When we planted them I was sure we would have more peas then we knew what to do with. We had a couple of planters filled with peas and beans. I was thinking, "We're going to have to can the ones we dont use! I hate canning!" I even tried to tell Matt we didn't need so many peas. Well as time past, we barely got a handful of peas from our harvest! Based on this single and personal experience, I have decided that maybe you need at least an acre of land to really be able to live off of your own produce alone. Since we live in an HOA we're not allowed to do much to the property around us. Needless to say, we dont really have a backyard either. They've given us a limit of planting a garden around our house, but the garden itself cannot be more than 3 or 4 feet away from our home. As you can imagine, that is not nearly as close to an acre as I think we would like, but we will do what we can do.

Yesterday I ran the Salt Lake City Half marathon. I think I have decided that I don't really enjoy running. I run half marathons for two reasons 1: Because I noticed I gained 10 lbs from September to December and 2: I have this 30 by 30 list... I figured, the sooner I can feel that quota/goal... the less I have to worry about it. I decided this while running up to mile 10 on State Street, going up hill... I blame the pain I am going through still and the pain I experience on the course as a result of my under devoted training. At least I can say, that running a half marathon really forced me to get out and exercise on days when I felt too busy and too tired to do anything. Will I be doing more half marathons in the future....? Unfortunately, yes.
 |
| This is Richard. He is 79 years old and has ran at least 2 marathons (not half but FULL marathons!) in every state. He started when he was 63. The Salt Lake marathon was his 7th one this year. Aye, aye.... to live a full and extended life takes a lot of work. Here's hoping that I learn to love running so I can be like this guy. |
No comments:
Post a Comment