Last night we saw the one and only Ira Glass. He's the creator and host of NPR, This American Life. It's the number on podcast in the nation and it's FREE. If you have iTunes, download it and listen to it faithfully, you won't be sorry. I love to save up episodes so I can listen to them on long drives and when I'm doing some busy work around the house. I feel enlightened and touched by the stories they share. I also love this man's voice. It's totally appropriate for the radio.
The show begins with the lights going out as Ira enters on stage. The only thing you can see is the iPad that he is carrying and once he places it on a stand you can barely see the contours of his face. He talks into the microphone and I feel like I am listening to yet another episode of This American Life. It's him, it's his voice, every muscle in my body is tensed up because of the built up excitement of this moment in my life. I'm sitting at the edge of my seat listening to this voice in the darkness. Eventually the lights come on and I see the very face that the voice belongs to. It's a bit surreal because I have created my own image of what Ira Glass looks like-- it's almost like meeting a character from a book or seeing a character from a book in the movies, there's disparity in what you thought the character looked like to what is being presented to you.
Ira Glass is BRILLIANT. In short, I was in love.
The show begins with the lights going out as Ira enters on stage. The only thing you can see is the iPad that he is carrying and once he places it on a stand you can barely see the contours of his face. He talks into the microphone and I feel like I am listening to yet another episode of This American Life. It's him, it's his voice, every muscle in my body is tensed up because of the built up excitement of this moment in my life. I'm sitting at the edge of my seat listening to this voice in the darkness. Eventually the lights come on and I see the very face that the voice belongs to. It's a bit surreal because I have created my own image of what Ira Glass looks like-- it's almost like meeting a character from a book or seeing a character from a book in the movies, there's disparity in what you thought the character looked like to what is being presented to you.
Ira Glass is BRILLIANT. In short, I was in love.
I also couldn't help to think of something that Aline and I have been talking a lot about recently, and that's living up to your passions. The most effective people out there are those that are living up to their passions. They're not just doing things that they're interested in doing, they're living The Dream. When I meet people like this I can't help but feel inspired and want to be more than I already am. Ira is an example of someone who is living The Dream.

Dear Ira Glass,
You're amazing! Thanks for coming to Salt Lake.
Sincerely,
Rhiannon
Ps. I love you voice!
No comments:
Post a Comment