Wednesday, August 28, 2013

I am the 1%.



That's right. We're having twins.
Apparently 1 in 100 women have "multiples".

I am the 1%.

However that number can vary based upon genetic factors. For example, in my family two of my aunts have a set of twins and on the same side of the family I have a cousin who has twins. Not sure if these two blessings are identical, but either or would be fine! Babies to come March February (Twins generally come early).

Somehow I knew this was going to happen. As I was going for my first prenatal appointment I had a thought, "it would be so bad if I were to have twins! I'll have to make something special for Matt, to soften the blow, when he comes home so I can break the news...what should I make?!"

I quickly excused this thought with, "you're silly. Don't count your chickens before they hatch! What are your chances of having twins anyways??"

The doctor did an ultrasound and said nothing. It was pretty quick and naturally I was a little nervous. I said, "did you see anything?!" He smiled and said: "I think I see two."

Tears started to form in my eyes, but I wasn't going to loose it just because he "thinks" he saw two.

After he did a vaginal ultrasound he smiled and said: "yup" and pointed to the screen to show me two little sacs floating somewhere in my belly with little alien like creates rotating in each one.

I lost it. The tears came streaming down.

Sweet man gave me a hug and said: "I bet those are tears of joy with a little bit of shocked mixed in with it." My response was almost, "definitely not joy."

Matt was more surprised than I had expected and it made me feel so good. So good. He also didn't seem very surprised, but maybe that's because he was just so excited. Matt is really into being "efficient" and I tell him that two babies instead of one is what you could call a very "efficient" pregnancy.

 Honestly, his excitement really made up for a lot of my fears. As time has gone on I feel a lot more confident and at peace. I've read a lot of things on twins and that mostly consoles my fears, but it also makes me worry about things I couldn't possibly have thought of on my own. There is such thing as The National Organization of Twin Mothers and there's a chapter in SLC. I'm thinking of joining. Apparently they have fondue parties and double stroller walks in the park. I'm hoping one or some of them have 3 or more children under the age of 2 and can give me some good advice of what to do.

With that said...

We are currently accepting donations for diapers! So next time when you are de-cluttering and you're trying to figure out what to donate to your local thrift store and you see those old, dust collecting diapers, think about us! We will proudly take any diapers that are just collecting dust in your attic or basement closet! We really won't be picky. We'll take any size and any brand too!

The only thing we're not accepting are used ones. So no used diapers, please. :)

6 comments:

  1. CONGRATS! I'm so happy for you! One of my closest friends had a little boy and then a set of twins 2 years later. She is one of the most laid-back, easy-going moms that I know, and I think it's because once the twins came, she had to just let go and embrace the madness. You guys will be awesome. Can't wait to hear all about this new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so exciting! Congratulations! My brother has twins. Their little girl was just 20 months old when the twin boys arrived. I know it was really difficult for a while, but now, 5 years later, they wouldn't change a thing. My sister is to deliver twin girls in November and her little boy will be 18 months old. 3 under 2 happens a lot! You will be/do great! When are you due?

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH Rhiannon!! This is so exciting!!!!!!!! I'm so excited and happy for you!!!!! You guys make the CUTEST babies, and two of them in one go is just amazing!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay! twins! I nannyed twins from when they were 6 months to about 8....I loved it so much I've wanted twins since! if anyone can do it you can, cause you're HARDCORE! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diapers it is! Unsused diapers! I'm so happy for you guys!!! You'll be the best parents! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crazy! I think I would have all those feelings too about having twins. So scary to have two babies at once...double the work, but double the joy. Moms just buck up and do what they gotta do. Good luck! And congratulations!

    ReplyDelete