In my class we were discussing what "migration" means and someone asked why birds fly in a V-Shape formation. I asked the class if anyone knew. I dared them to be risk takes and to take a chance on what they thought the reason was. Without the slightest sign of hesitation, one boy struck up his hand stiff and tall with an eager expression on his face. He looked determined to answer the question. Other children held their hand up and then quickly put them back down, with looks of confusion.
I figured the boy, who was raising his hand up eagerly, had probably learned the answer from his parents and was excited to share his intellectual response with the class. I thought I'd be doing him a favor by calling on him. When I called on him he said: "It's because V stands for vacation! They're going down south for vacation."

No comments:
Post a Comment