Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Zion---The Subway


May 19, 2012- Zion National Park- The Subway

Doing the Subway was on my list of things to do before I die. I've seen pictures of it and I've heard a lot about it. I assumed that because I had heard so much about it was essentially not hard. I wouldn't go as far as deeming it "easy" but I didn't think it would be too difficult. For the first half it really wasn't difficult. In fact when we finally arrived to the part known as "The Subway" I thought, "I'd do this again next week!" After walking the next half, wading through river, and tripping over rocks I decided that I think I really would do it again, but not for a couple of more years. 

Seeing the Subway was GORGEOUS. If you have a chance to do it, don't even hesitate!


This is how the trip started off. It was REALLY cold by the way.



I love this picture.
Katie, Richard, Matt, Lauren, & Duke

This is as belly photo as I get. Here I am at... er... 27 weeks?



This is all of us after we have suited up. We're all in wet suits
except for Matt who's wearing a dry suit. (Almost a better option.)
We did Das Boot first, which is a canyon that leads into the Subway.
The water in Das Boot was FREEZING. Needless to say I was grateful for long sleeves and water proof
socks and gloves. I was comfortable. :)

Katie and Richard--I think they look like spies.










The pools in this area were GORGEOUS. We thought this one looked like a "hot tub". So here we are "hot tubbing".
(**Disclosure: The water was not even hot. Comfortable but not hot.)


It was so BEAUTIFUL!
I often find the most beautiful places on earth are the ones that are the most difficult to get to.



  

"The Subway"
So we did this the weekend before Memorial Day weekend. We had a lot of fun with Katie, Richard, Duke, & Lauren and would do a trip like this with them AGAIN. Duke & Lauren were also the ones that came with us on that Labor Day Trip that took us 2 nights in the wilderness (unplanned 2 nights). I'm surprised they still want to come with us. :) 

It was FUN! I did have a hard time being pregnant and I think a lot of it stemmed from paranoia. A few weeks before I met a climbing instructor who told me that his wife, as a midwife, told her patients to not do any climbing or canyoneering after 24 weeks. I'm not really sure specifically why, but that scared me enough where I almost didn't go. Lucky enough, it went fine. Yes I was really slow and yes I was really tired really quickly, but I did it. The satisfaction of doing it and seeing the Subway with my own eyes outweighs the pain. 

Stay tuned for more catch up stories. The next post will be about what we did on Memorial Day Weekend. 

1 comment:

  1. This looks so good. The Subway is something I want to do before I die too. And for the record, not only are your pictures building the hype in my head but I am now telling myself "a pregnant woman did it so I totally can."

    ReplyDelete