We're proud parents!
Now that he's here, it's hard to imagine living without him.
I know some of you are interested in knowing "the story". So here is how it all went down.
Basically, I went into labor quick and fast at 4am, when my water broke. It was like a water balloon popped inside of me. Contractions hit going at about 3-4 minutes apart and by 6, they were 2 minutes. I was interested in giving birth naturally and wanted to do most of my laboring at home, meaning I didn't want to go to the hospital until I had to.
However, when I previously made this decision I had not anticipated what sitting in a car would be like. AH! Lucky for me I chose to deliver at a hospital that was normally 5 minutes a way. I can only imagine what it would be like if I had chosen to have my baby at a hospital that was much farther than that. Oh my ignorance as I thought about other hospitals in the valley.
We made it to the hospital and I dragged myself into the check in desk. They did the routinal check up and discovered that Calvin was feet down ready to jump into the world. The only solution to this was a C-section. Apparently when they're feet first there is no hope. Matt wanted to know how long the whole thing would take.
Matt:"So how long do you think this will all take?"
Doctor: "Until the baby is here?"
Matt: "Yeah"
Doctor: "Oh, less than an hour."
I was shocked at the time frame. Everything was moving by so quickly!
They shoved papers at us, mostly for the epidural. I was already familiar with the risks that were outlined in the paper work and the liability issues, but really? How can they thrust the paper work at you when you're contractions are less than 2 minutes a part. You may have only 30 seconds to think clearly!
They told me to lean forward to give me the shot. The whole time I was leaning I was trying so hard not to move. I've heard one too many horror stories of people being negatively affected by the epidural being directed in the wrong location and then they have back pain for the rest of their lives or they have problems breathing because the epidural went up instead of down.... in any case as he poked me I tried my very best to stay still and I tried not to ask him what level of experience he had.
Well they wheeled me into the surgery room, gave Matt some cute fancy gear, and got to work. I swear in less than 10 minutes that baby was out at 7:50am.
He was 4lbs and 12 ounces and 19 inches long. So skinny!!
They were worried about him maintaining his body temperature so they took him into the NICU. They told Matt that had he weighed a few ounces less they would have just kept him in NICU until he gained some weight. He was only in NICU for less than 45 minutes. Once his temperature was stable they gave him back to us.
Over the course of our stay they drew his blood and took his temperature and vitals several times making sure that he was remaining strong. He exceeded their expectations. He may be skinny but he's a fighter!
It's exciting!!






.jpg)
He's precious! And Calvin is a cute name. Congrats, you guys!!
ReplyDeleteRhi and Matt, he's so cute! Looks like a Longstaff, no?
ReplyDeleteWhen was your due date? I can't believe he was so tiny! Did your water break early? I hope you're adjusting well. Congratulations!
ReplyDelete