Friday, October 12, 2012

Rendezvous

We make A LOT of trips to Zion. I'm sure we've gone down this year more than 10 times.

Looking up in Pinecreek Canyon

It's just so beautiful.

This time we went for a "Canyoneering Rendezvous" that they have every year at Ponderosa Ranch, located just outside the national park. Canyoneers come from many different places to do canyons together and to talk about canyoneering. The best part for me was doing a canyon with other women.  When Matt told me about this event I thought for sure I'd be the only female, but that was not the case! Personally, for me, it was pretty fun to go with other women and see canyoneering from a women's perspective. These women took the time to explicitly explain things to me that helped me understand a little bit more of what I was doing and why I was doing it. They also showed me some pretty cool things they had made to help organize their gear.

Where was the baby?



With Matt.

We went down on Thursday night. I did a canyon on Friday day and Matt did a canyon on Friday night and Saturday. We also went down with a friend of ours Raul, who did every canyon we both did plus one on Sunday. Can you guess who got the better end of the deal? 

Raul
On Sunday Matt & I went looking for something we hadn't already seen. I love technology and smart phones! We just looked it up really quick on our phones and TA-DAH-- Petroglyphs!



Tomatillo's first petroglph! 

I have to show you this picture:


Yeah, that's Matt doing a 300 foot rappel. :)

 This canyon is called Englestead and the first rappel is 300 feet. After that the rappels are much, much shorter but no one wants to carry the additional rope. Matt asked if I could come so he wouldn't have to carry all that rope with him through the canyon. I was fine with that, really. It was "suppose" to be a pretty easy trail, but.... that's not really how it ended up for us.

I have a wrap where I keep Tomatillo in front of me and I was going to carry the extra rope in a back pack, behind me, so it wouldn't be that bad, but we parked our car in the wrong place so we had a horrible time finding the first rappel and we had to do a lot of bush whacking. Doing that with an infant is as horrible as it sounds. Lucky for me on my way back up I met an older gentlemen and his two grandsons who knew of a shorter trail and offered to give me a ride back to my car. 



I've made the offer before, but really if you would ever want to do a canyon tell Matt! 
He would L-O-V-E to take you!

No comments:

Post a Comment