If we're friends on facebook maybe you remember this picture I posted:
Quite honestly it was a glorious day for me. I didn't think it was possible but I was able to disconnect the dishwasher all by myself. It did take me about an hour or so but after watching several clips on youtube and reading forums and blogs I was able to do it. Matt was at work and called me in a panic reminding me that Lowes was coming by to pick up our dishwasher in the next hour. Usually when you arrange for someone to drop things off and they say "between 1 and 4" you assume the worst--- 530. At least I do. Nope! These guys came 15 minutes before 1 o'clock. Eek! The dishwasher was not uninstalled and they would not help me.
After they left I called in to "complain" I told them that they told me they'd come after 1 and that my dishwasher was not ready to be picked up because they came early. (Like 15 minutes early.) ;)
So they agreed to come get it when I was "done".
Heh.
Now here's the commercial break on the dishwasher and a story of why I hate puddles.
Man, I was just happy to finally have a dishwasher and the chance to install it! So one Saturday when I decide that I'll do it Matt says: "you know the water from our fridge tastes gross, if you're working behind the fridge anyways you should try to figure out how to make the water taste good." His request was simple, but it was the beginning of the end.
Matt & I looked up some options online and to make a long and painful story short we decided we needed an inline water filter and so we bought one. Those were the two easiest steps! I thought installing it was going to be pretty easy but every time we put it in and adjusted it, sooner or later, we found a puddle. There was a lot of turning on and off the main water line to our house and a lot of hair pulling.... A LOT of hair pulling.
Below is my first attempt. This whole system needs to fit nice and snug in the hole in the wall next to the black pipe you see. I had a hard time trying to get the copper wire to sit snug around this filter so that every time I tried to move it into that hole in the wall it would leak out on one of the ends and I would undoubtedly find a puddle of water. I hate puddles!
Quite honestly it was a glorious day for me. I didn't think it was possible but I was able to disconnect the dishwasher all by myself. It did take me about an hour or so but after watching several clips on youtube and reading forums and blogs I was able to do it. Matt was at work and called me in a panic reminding me that Lowes was coming by to pick up our dishwasher in the next hour. Usually when you arrange for someone to drop things off and they say "between 1 and 4" you assume the worst--- 530. At least I do. Nope! These guys came 15 minutes before 1 o'clock. Eek! The dishwasher was not uninstalled and they would not help me.
After they left I called in to "complain" I told them that they told me they'd come after 1 and that my dishwasher was not ready to be picked up because they came early. (Like 15 minutes early.) ;)
So they agreed to come get it when I was "done".
Heh.
Now here's the commercial break on the dishwasher and a story of why I hate puddles.
Man, I was just happy to finally have a dishwasher and the chance to install it! So one Saturday when I decide that I'll do it Matt says: "you know the water from our fridge tastes gross, if you're working behind the fridge anyways you should try to figure out how to make the water taste good." His request was simple, but it was the beginning of the end.
Matt & I looked up some options online and to make a long and painful story short we decided we needed an inline water filter and so we bought one. Those were the two easiest steps! I thought installing it was going to be pretty easy but every time we put it in and adjusted it, sooner or later, we found a puddle. There was a lot of turning on and off the main water line to our house and a lot of hair pulling.... A LOT of hair pulling.
Below is my first attempt. This whole system needs to fit nice and snug in the hole in the wall next to the black pipe you see. I had a hard time trying to get the copper wire to sit snug around this filter so that every time I tried to move it into that hole in the wall it would leak out on one of the ends and I would undoubtedly find a puddle of water. I hate puddles!
I anonymously called several plumbers in the Salt Lake Valley searching for advice. I'm not really sure if that is acceptable but I figured it was a nice way to get my questions answered. Is it okay to ask them questions if you're not paying them?
I got this tip off of a plumber. Someone suggested I purchase these gray bendy pipes. They worked GREAT! No more puddles! I put those at the end of the pipe instead of having the copper pipe go directly into the water filter and VIOLA no more leaks. These bendy pipes though came as a result of many days, hair pulling, and many puddles----oh the puddles!
Ta dah! The final product!
As I'm looking at this picture I see the black and white electrical wire for the dishwasher. Need I mention that I was standing in a pool of water when that wire touched me? :) Why yes, I did receive a little shock. I think it was the rubber pliers I was holding that could have saved my life. Earlier I had turned off the electricity to those wires, or at least I thought I had turned it off. Whoops?
This took a week to install. After doing this I decided to take a break from the dishwasher. As a result of this experience I think it will be a while before I can step in a puddle of water and not feel my heart break and the desire to cry.

No comments:
Post a Comment